From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:06:50
1 On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 09:27 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > They shouldn't /have/ to, but the option is there. Those who care about
3 > security and care about getting a heads-up on "major" changes of this
4 > nature, will find several opportunities to be notified of them.
5
6 That's not the point behind the push for this approach.
7
8 I kicked this off in my blog article because we've used those
9 opportunities to notify users, and it didn't work well enough. We've
10 had users and Gentoo developers alike who didn't know about the changes.
11 Add 'php' to your away logging, and sit in #gentoo-dev and
12 #gentoo-apache for a week or so, and make a count of the number of users
13 and devs who still don't know about the (delayed) PHP5 changes.
14
15 From my point of view, as a Gentoo developer pushing large
16 service-affecting changes out to users, our existing mechanisms are at
17 least a partial failure when it comes to getting the news out.
18
19 If you want a timely example, take a look at this week's GWN's
20 description of this debate, and see for yourself how it matches the
21 changes I've blogged about ;-)
22
23 > The announce list is one.
24
25 By your own admission, you're on the announce list, and but you didn't
26 know about the Apache changes. Imagine how many other users were in the
27 same situation. Imagine how many other users never signed up to the
28 announce list in the first place.
29
30 We can sit here all day and blame those users for their actions, or lack
31 thereof.
32
33 Or, we can do better, and pro-actively put the news right in front of
34 them. Even game systems like Steam already do this :)
35
36 > I'm just not sure how much
37 > I'd /personally/ prioritize it, given that there are plenty of information
38 > sources for those that care, already.
39
40 Take a moment to re-examine the argument from the viewpoint that the
41 existing information sources are not getting the news out to the people
42 that matter - our devs and our users.
43
44 From that point of view, this work is worth making a high priority.
45
46 Best regards,
47 Stu
48 --
49 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
50 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
51 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
52
53 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
54 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C