From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:20:19
1 Stuart Herbert posted <1131382994.8546.34.camel@××××××××××××××.org>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:03:14 +0000:
3
4 >> The announce list is one.
5 >
6 > By your own admission, you're on the announce list, and but you didn't
7 > know about the Apache changes. Imagine how many other users were in the
8 > same situation. Imagine how many other users never signed up to the
9 > announce list in the first place.
10
11 I guess I wasn't quite clear, then. Yes, I KNEW about the changes, from
12 several sources. The first source I knew about them from was here, I
13 believe, seeing the earlier discussion. Because of that, it was old news
14 by the time I saw it on announce and I wasn't sure I'd seen it there
15 because I'd lost track of all the locations and threads I'd seen it in by
16 then.
17
18 I wasn't sure it was on announce, not because I didn't see it there, but
19 because it was old news by then. Actually, from my perspective, that's a
20 /good/ thing, because one of the reasons I'm subscribed here is to get as
21 early a heads-up on things as possible. The news SHOULD go to announce
22 and it did (tho I hadn't been sure of it in that case), but by definition,
23 before it gets announced, it will need discussed, and likely as not, at
24 least mention of that discussion will be seen here, well ahead of it
25 actually happening or appearing on announce or on the news thing.
26
27 Then seeing it on announce would jog my memory, if necessary, and remind
28 me of the decision made, as sometimes the discussion here remains up in
29 the air and I don't know the decision until later. (That's normal, not a
30 bad thing.)
31
32 Then seeing it in emerge would be another warning (for me), just in case
33 I'd slept thru things, and to jog my memory once more. For me, and for
34 those that care, that's all it should be, another warning, thus I'd call
35 it fairly low priority. However, it's still good to have, and for those
36 that don't care enough to go looking elsewhere, it might be the first
37 warning they get. I personally wouldn't want to operate that way, nor
38 could I imagine doing so, but I realize the point made that obviously,
39 others are missing all the warning signs and seeing it there might be the
40 last warning that does some good. That's a GOOD thing! It's just not
41 personally good enough that I'd prioritize it real heavily, but it's still
42 a good thing to have, so I won't argue with OTHERS prioritizing it. =8^)
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
48 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list