From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:36:41
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > By your own admission, you're on the announce list, and but you didn't
3 > know about the Apache changes. Imagine how many other users were in the
4 > same situation. Imagine how many other users never signed up to the
5 > announce list in the first place.
6
7 On gentoo-dev, gentoo-user, gentoo-devel, gentoo-server and
8 gentoo-web-user on 2005-09-08 01:48 UTC a message titled "Stabilization
9 of new-style Apache" was posted.
10
11 Quoting John Myers:
12 > For the record, it was sent to the announce list on 2004-12-24.
13 > Message-Id: <200412240924.35397.stuart@g.o>
14 > Subject: [gentoo-announce] Apache packages refresh on 8th January 2005
15
16 giving me the impression that the new-style apache changes were not
17 announced (though they did cause some trouble), and that this message --
18 which unfortunately is not on Gmane, so I cannot check -- probably deals
19 *not* with those new-style apache changes. If it does, then it might be
20 'badly timed'.
21
22 In the whole of 2005 I can see one message on gentoo-announce which is
23 not a GLSA, which is a release announcement for Gentoo Linux 2005.0.
24
25 Considering the description of gentoo-announce "General Gentoo
26 announcements list (new releases, security fixes)" perhaps this list
27 might not the the right place for such **important** announcements as
28 the new-style apache message.
29
30 However, suppose I was a normal user, and I would like to receive these
31 messages, where should I sign up for?
32 gentoo-user?
33 "General Gentoo user support and discussion mailing list" sounds like
34 a lot of spam to me, and if I don't have questions myself, or prefer
35 using the (excellent) forums for that, then why should I sign up for
36 that?
37 gentoo-dev perhaps?
38 "General Gentoo developer discussion mailing list" sounds like a lot
39 of spam too, and certainly not as source for important messages from
40 a user perspective.
41 gentoo-security?
42 "For the discussion of security issues and fixes" Well, as user I
43 might only be interested in the announcement of security fixes,
44 don't need discussions on them, and since I want those important
45 messages about changes in gentoo psckages... nope, this is not it.
46 gentoo-gwn?
47 "Gentoo Weekly Newsletter" well, might come in handy, doesn't say
48 anything about what it does exactly and might contain a lot of
49 noise considering what I'm looking for.
50 doc, doc-cvs, translator, ppc-user, ppc-dev, <arch>, kernel, laptop:
51 not applicable
52 gentoo-desktop:
53 might be, though not interested in window managers
54 <etc etc etc>
55 gentoo-server?
56 "Discussions about Gentoo in production environments" ok, I don't need
57 discussions, I just want messages on **important** changes.
58
59 After going through the list, I got the impression there is simply no
60 place where such messages clearly would go. gentoo-announce sounds as
61 the best option to go for, but its description somehow suggests not.
62 Though, subscribed to gentoo-announce means you get nothing but GLSA
63 announcements and sometimes a new release announcements.
64
65 So, what list should the user that wants to receive those **important**
66 messages sign up to?
67 I still think that *this* is the reason why people don't seem to know
68 about the important changes, because there is no obvious place where to
69 get them. It's quite likely that a user that wanted to see the
70 new-style apache message didn't see it because it simply didn't appear
71 on a list the user hoped to see it. It was in the GWN of 2005-09-12,
72 but I can imagine a user didn't expect it to be there, as there is no
73 description at al for GWN list, and the **important** information will
74 always have to be extracted from the GWN, since each GWN covers multiple
75 items in a few categories which not every user might interest.
76
77 Send **important** messages separate to a non-discussion mailing list,
78 and I'm sure that many people will be happy to read it -- just like
79 gentoo-announce.
83 Fabian Groffen
84 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
85 --
86 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list