From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: candrews@g.o, luke-jr+git@×××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Require opt-in for bitcoin upgrade?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:14:10
1 Hey All,
2
3 I'm responding again because I saw that I left Luke off of my original
4 message and I cleaned up my steps a bit.
5
6 We talked about this on the irc channel, and several of us feel that you
7 don't need anything special in the ebuild at all, you can do this via
8 package.mask and a newsitem.
9
10 I suggest the following assuming that the older version will stop
11 working when the network is fully upgraded.
12
13 - Publish a newsitem explaining this issue.
14 - After the newsitem is published, Commit the newer version under
15 package.mask with the mask message being an explanation of the issue.
16 - at this point, if people want to opt in, they can unmask the newer
17 version and add it to package.accept_keywords.
18 - Once the network is upgraded, unmask the newer version (and you
19 might have to fast stable if the older version doesn't work).
20 - If I understand correctly, at this point, opting in isn't
21 optional since the network is upgraded, so if people don't want
22 to use the new algo they can't use bitcoin.
23
24 That will give everyone time to see the newsitem before the newer version hits.
25
26 It seems like this is the best you can do since upstream is doing a hard
27 switchover to the new algo.
28
29 William