From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o supported overlays should register
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 18:11:42
1 On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:50:07 -0600
2 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So you are asking for the layman file to be updated properly or what?
5
6 I assume for now that you meant [1]. As far as I can tell, that file
7 would be useable if it didn't just follow whatever policy is set up for
8 layman access to overlays. There are a few minor problems with it, like
9 the filename and filename extension both being misleading (yes, I know
10 it really is a "txt" file :), and the fact that none of the Overlays
11 project's documentation mentions it.
12
13 I'd hate to introduce duplication and as it does seem like
14
15 > layman -i <overlay name>
16
17 will depend on that URL for a good while yet, the filename changes
18 aren't important. It _is_ important to get the file documented by the
19 Overlays project so that the Bug Wranglers project (a QA sub-project)
20 can depend on that.
21
22 > IMO, what would really benefit us is to have a site akin to
23 > http://gpo.zugaina.org/ on a Gentoo host to *find* packages that are
24 > in 'official' overlays.
25
26 That sounds nice. Same goes for files -> packages, of course.
29 Kind regards,
30 jer
33 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt