From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:05:25
1 Am Montag, 17. November 2014, 22:36:10 schrieb hasufell:
2 > >
3 > > If someone using Gentoo uses USE="-* foo bar ..." they get to keep the
4 > > pieces.
5 > >
6 > > William
7 >
8 > Using USE="-*" reveals so many random assumptions and untested ebuild
9 > configurations that we should definitely rethink that sentiment.
10 >
11 > And arch testers partly do exactly that.
12 > So I think it's an excuse for bad ebuild USE flags and dependencies.
13 > If your ebuild does not compile with USE="-*" (except because of
14 > REQUIRED_USE or pkg_setup bailing out), then you did something wrong.
15 >
16 > People already use this configuration and all related bug reports are
17 > valid.
18
19 That's at most an argument that USE="-*" should be a theoretically valid
20 configuration. It does not mean that the setting makes sense for anyone.
21
22 USE="-*" was maybe a reasonable idea before we had use defaults.
23
24 Now, by setting USE="-*", you deviate from upstream defaults at random places
25 and pointlessly mess up the dependency calculations of python / ruby /
26 multilib / ... packages.
27
28 Message to users- if you want a minimum set of useflags, start from the main
29 default profile of your arch. That's what it is for. Everything else, and you
30 sure get to keep the pieces.
34 Andreas K. Huettel
35 Gentoo Linux developer
36 dilfridge@g.o