From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:42:58
1 On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 13:29 +0200, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On 4/5/07, Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Well, the thing is, vote happens only once a year, and quite a lot of
4 > > things can be done during that time. I just think that not having any
5 > > rule at all concerning limitations to the council is tying our hands in
6 > > our back. If the council never messes up, then this rule won't ever be
7 > > used, and if they do, we'll be happy to have this handy rather than
8 > > having to argue for ages and being told "you elected us, so shut up
9 > > and if you don't agree, don't vote for us next time" (which is an
10 > > answer I actually got several times).
11 >
12 > Why not simply allow trustees to veto a council decision ? This does
13 > not give trustees enough power to be a second council, but would
14 > permit them to stop something that they believe will damage Gentoo.
15
16 Actually, while it isn't spelled out, this is likely the case, since the
17 trustees (and the Foundation members, by extension) are the holders of
18 the Gentoo name. The Foundation is what grants the Council its power by
19 "allowing" Gentoo (Linux) to govern itself.
20
21 Trust me, if the Council were doing something nasty and underhanded that
22 would endanger Gentoo, the trustees would try to do *something* to
23 prevent it. That being said, I don't think that anybody is out to try
24 to harm Gentoo. We (the Council) understand that we cannot appease
25 everybody all the time and don't make any apologies for not being able
26 to do so.
27
28 > This is very little red tape IMHO.
29
30 That being said, the Trustees really don't have "jurisdiction" over the
31 Council's technical decisions or their decisions on how to actually run
32 Gentoo. This is a power the trustees could have, but it isn't one they
33 necessarily *do* have. I have no idea if they would even want it and my
34 opinion doesn't matter a whole lot, since I would be in conflict of
35 interest in pretty much any decision.
36
37 > If it's only stupid and not harmful it will be solved naturally with
38 > the current structure by waiting for the next elections (either at the
39 > end of the term or because enough council members resigned due to the
40 > situation).
41
42 There's a huge difference between the Council doing something against
43 Gentoo and the Council doing something certain people don't agree with.
44 The former is completely intolerable while the latter is very likely to
45 happen with any decision the Council makes. Some people will always
46 spout off conspiracy theories and their opinions on how they think
47 things should be, which is all fine and dandy except that it isn't how
48 things *are* currently. If someone wants something changed, they can
49 very well work to get it changed. Trying to force the Council to do
50 something via underhanded tactics or baseless accusations doesn't do
51 much. Getting the community together does.
52
53 If the community decided that the Council is only allowed to hold
54 meetings on Thursday when the moon is full, we'd abide by it.
55
56 I just find this whole situation hysterical since you have so many
57 people saying the Council needs to "grow a pair" and actually try to
58 enact some good, and when we do, you hear a few vocal individuals
59 running around screaming like we killed their kitten. So which is it?
60 Would you rather have a strong Council that is capable of making
61 decisions without having to worry about whether that decision is popular
62 or not, or would you rather have a weak Council that cannot do anything
63 without prior developer approval, completely castrating their abilities
64 to enact change for fear of being removed from office?
67 Chris Gianelloni
68 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
69 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
70 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
71 Gentoo Foundation