From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: peter@×××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: fsmove to profiles/updates
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 01:21:57
1 On 8 August 2012 01:58, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > I don't think that's possible. Much like with other kinds of updates,
3 > the packages in the tree would be updated to install in the new
4 > location anyway.
5
6 Sure, but the question is "when does this happen". Users are expecting
7 such changes when they emerge a new package, but if you're on a system
8 that has versions pinned, you're not expecting magical changes to
9 happen during emerge sync
10
11 I'd hope at the very least there was a FEATURES= option to disable
12 automatic fs moves.
13
14 I can understand how most people will probably want to "just let moves
15 happen", but I still think you should still have a way to disable this
16 for people who have higher security concerns.
17
18 Some moves will need checks done to see if they can be done safely or
19 not, and some moves will require updating files in /etc/ to make them
20 work, so moving the files but *not* changing /etc/* forcibly could
21 easily lead to a broken system .
22
23 And this is especially the case if you're trying to move dirs which
24 contain a mix of user and installed content. ( ie: /var/db/postgres/ )
25
26 Some will be able to be performed hands-free, and others will *need*
27 some user interaction to avoid a broken system.
28
29 > --
30 > Best regards,
31 > Michał Górny