From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:53:46
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Frankly I think you're exagerating here.
4 >
5 > You're seriously telling me it's going to cause you massive
6 > adminstration nightmares adding an attribute to ldap to specify the
7 > user comes in from a subdomain? Where's the nightmare in admining it?
8 > It _should_ just be a setup cost.
9 >
10 > If that's not the case, I question your setup.
11
12 There's far more things to worry about aside from ldap and email. I'm
13 hoping to list them out soon, but I have other things I'm doing this
14 weekend.
15
16 > It's a crazy notion, but y'all could've commented in the *TWO* months
17 > that this glep has been percolating, "yo, what do you want from an
18 > infra standpoint?".
19 >
20 > Or implemented anoncvs in the meantime, thus nuking the main request
21 > that's being made of infra.
22
23 What was posted two months ago is not the same as was posted a day
24 before the vote. I didn't see a problem with the original glep from an
25 infra POV, thus why I didn't say much about it.
26
27 > It is your guys responsibility to keep up to date on what's underway.
28 > Portage devs do it, arches do it, infra is no different.
29 >
30 > That's why you're on this ml- that is why gleps get sent to this ml- so
31 > that all of the various groups can weigh in.
32
33 The revised GLEP in question was posted a day before the vote. I was
34 watching it, though I didn't get a chance to read through the whole GLEP
35 for the changes at the time since I was busy with real life issues. This
36 is why I stated in an email [1] that day that they should postpone
37 voting on it.
38
39 [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=113199543120777&w=2
40
41 > So... infra can bitch, and have the council vote reversed?
42 >
43 > What about portage group, do we have the same power? QA? Devrel?
44 >
45 > Y'all haven't offered any input into this glep in the 2 months it's
46 > been around. Further, *you* did see the glep, and didn't get off
47 > your ass and state "hey guys, this has to be delayed- infra needs to
48 > review it".
49
50 See above [1]. I asked for them to hold on the vote and that did not happen.
51
52 > You guys want the glep changed, either ask hparker and crew nicely, or
53 > submit your own glep. You've had time to be involved, and you've
54 > admitted you saw but did not even comment "we need to review this,
55 > it must be delayed".
56
57 Considering how the revised GLEP went through without ANY discussion
58 prior to the vote, I don't see why we need to. That is an issue of the
59 procedure used to to get this GLEP approved which wasn't done correctly.
60 I have yet to see a valid reason for pushing ahead for the vote (and
61 yes, I read the log.. see my comments in previous emails about that
62 logic they used).
63
64 > I see this mainly as infra/trustees not watching the ML.
65
66 What does trustees have to do with this GLEP? And yes, I was watching
67 the ML, but giving me 24hr to respond to a GLEP revision before a vote
68 is not reasonable.
69
70 > Frankly it seems like y'all didn't pay attention, and got caught with
71 > your pants down.
72
73 Thats not the case, we got a revised GLEP one day before the vote and
74 didn't have a chance to reply reasonably.
75
76 > Sucks, but too damn bad.
77
78 I'm not going to reply to that.
79
80 > And no... bitching about the window for the revision isn't really
81 > valid, since the requested revisions to the glep from the council have
82 > been known for a month already (again, more then reasonable time to
83 > know what is afoot).
84
85 Where was it stated that it was posted and was being discussed? Just
86 because it was stated in a meeting log and was committed in cvs doesn't
87 mean I need to read cvs changelogs. I expect the information about the
88 GLEP i need to know about to be in the GLEP and that the revised GLEP to
89 be sent with ample time before the meeting at hand. This was not done
90 and this is why I'm frustrated with the situation.
91
92 > As I already pointed out, the cvs issue klieber is beating over
93 > everyone's head is missing the fact it's a suggested route- go
94 > the standard ldap user route, and the issues disappear.
95
96 We have yet to figure out how we're going to do this.
97
98 > Email subdomain? Go through the channels everyone else has to.
99
100 Huh?
101
102 > Reversion is not an option from where I'm sitting, regardless of the
103 > power infra wields over gentoo or how much y'all may dislike the glep.
104 > Change it via the methods available, rather then the kicking/screaming.
105
106 I'm not abusing our power, I'm simply pointing out the fallacy of the
107 events that transpired. I feel that we should not have to implement
108 something that was posted a day before the vote. I *was* watching the
109 mailing lists and I *do* try and catch these things, and I *tried* to
110 have them postpone the vote. But as you can tell, something was
111 obviously out of sync communication wise because I didn't see this coming.
112
113 > I'm going to keep my mouth shut on the backdoor comment, aside from
114 > stating that's behaviour I hope to _never_ see out of a trustee again.
115 > ~harring
116
117 *sigh* You're taking what I'm saying way too personally. All I'm after
118 is this vote to be properly reconsidered because of a mandate they
119 accepted after they accepted this GLEP. I've already tried to figure out
120 all the logistics of what they accepted, so I'm not doing the whole "i'm
121 stomping my foot down on this and not doing it".
124 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
125 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
126
127 ---
128 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
129 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
130
131 ramereth/irc.freenode.net