From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:41:47
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 04:46:51PM -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > It's a crazy notion, but y'all could've commented in the *TWO* months
4 > > that this glep has been percolating, "yo, what do you want from an
5 > > infra standpoint?".
6 > >
7 > > Or implemented anoncvs in the meantime, thus nuking the main request
8 > > that's being made of infra.
9 >
10 > What was posted two months ago is not the same as was posted a day
11 > before the vote. I didn't see a problem with the original glep from an
12 > infra POV, thus why I didn't say much about it.
13
14 Email wise, you're right- the basic issue of anoncvs/cvs ro access for
15 ATs however has been in the glep from the beginning (regardless of the
16 glep having a minimal req tacked into it).
17
18 That said, the subdomain bit has been available since the oct council
19 meeting. Not something that was particularly sprung, although grounds
20 for arguing that it wasn't pushed out in the best manner.
21
22 That still doesn't address my point about the basic need of the glep,
23 anoncvs/cvs ro being known.
24
25 > > It is your guys responsibility to keep up to date on what's underway.
26 > > Portage devs do it, arches do it, infra is no different.
27 > >
28 > > That's why you're on this ml- that is why gleps get sent to this ml- so
29 > > that all of the various groups can weigh in.
30 >
31 > The revised GLEP in question was posted a day before the vote. I was
32 > watching it, though I didn't get a chance to read through the whole GLEP
33 > for the changes at the time since I was busy with real life issues. This
34 > is why I stated in an email [1] that day that they should postpone
35 > voting on it.
36 > [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=113199543120777&w=2
37
38 Reading through it, it reads more like a comment about the process.
39 It's also not an explicit request that it be delayed, which I'll
40 assume is just me misreading it.
41
42 > > You guys want the glep changed, either ask hparker and crew nicely, or
43 > > submit your own glep. You've had time to be involved, and you've
44 > > admitted you saw but did not even comment "we need to review this,
45 > > it must be delayed".
46 >
47 > Considering how the revised GLEP went through without ANY discussion
48 > prior to the vote, I don't see why we need to. That is an issue of the
49 > procedure used to to get this GLEP approved which wasn't done correctly.
50 > I have yet to see a valid reason for pushing ahead for the vote (and
51 > yes, I read the log.. see my comments in previous emails about that
52 > logic they used).
53
54 Said hole has been closed; what I'm stating is that y'all should work
55 through what's available rather then a forced re-vote. See tail end
56 of email for reasoning.
57
58 > > I see this mainly as infra/trustees not watching the ML.
59 >
60 > What does trustees have to do with this GLEP? And yes, I was watching
61 > the ML, but giving me 24hr to respond to a GLEP revision before a vote
62 > is not reasonable.
63
64 Knowing what the revisions where going to be (previous meeting) makes
65 the 24 hour comment a bit off.
66
67 > > Frankly it seems like y'all didn't pay attention, and got caught with
68 > > your pants down.
69 >
70 > Thats not the case, we got a revised GLEP one day before the vote and
71 > didn't have a chance to reply reasonably.
72
73 Email is about the only snafu out of this whole thing that is
74 reasonably questionable imo. Concerns about load on lark, handling
75 the new users, etc, no, as I stated, this glep has been around for 2
76 months without infra asking what's required.
77
78 That's the crux of the "caught with the pants down". The fact that
79 the initial glep could've passed, and still there would be
80 complaints/issues brought up (beyond email concerns) afterwards
81 because people didn't pay attention.
82
83 > > Sucks, but too damn bad.
84 >
85 > I'm not going to reply to that.
86
87 Probably wise, since it wasn't a friendly jab on my part (for which I
88 should be duly flogged).
89
90 > > And no... bitching about the window for the revision isn't really
91 > > valid, since the requested revisions to the glep from the council have
92 > > been known for a month already (again, more then reasonable time to
93 > > know what is afoot).
94 >
95 > Where was it stated that it was posted and was being discussed? Just
96 > because it was stated in a meeting log and was committed in cvs doesn't
97 > mean I need to read cvs changelogs. I expect the information about the
98 > GLEP i need to know about to be in the GLEP and that the revised GLEP to
99 > be sent with ample time before the meeting at hand. This was not done
100 > and this is why I'm frustrated with the situation.
101
102 Again.. aside from email, the info's been out there.
105 > We have yet to figure out how we're going to do this.
106 >
107 > > Email subdomain? Go through the channels everyone else has to.
108 >
109 > Huh?
110
111 Specifically reverting/changing a glep. See glep1 for actual process,
112 or nudge glep41 authors to revise and get council to sign off on it
113 (that chunk is somewhat unspecified procedure wise).
116 > > Reversion is not an option from where I'm sitting, regardless of the
117 > > power infra wields over gentoo or how much y'all may dislike the glep.
118 > > Change it via the methods available, rather then the kicking/screaming.
119 >
120 > I'm not abusing our power,
121
122 re-read it, not implying you are, what I'm stating is that no _group_
123 should have the ability to effectively force the council to
124 revert/revote on a decision. Doing so means the council loses the
125 ability to have issues passed up to it, and have it agreed upon gentoo
126 wide, and have people actually move forward on something.
127
128 Portage shouldn't have it, nor devrel, nor QA, nor infra (obviously my
129 opinion).
130
131 And yes, I'm well aware some day a brain dead glep may get forced
132 onto the portage group, in which case feel free to taunt me with those
133 words. I'll still stand by my statement from above, despite whatever
134 nasty thoughts may be running through my head. :)
137 > I'm simply pointing out the fallacy of the
138 > events that transpired. I feel that we should not have to implement
139 > something that was posted a day before the vote. I *was* watching the
140 > mailing lists and I *do* try and catch these things, and I *tried* to
141 > have them postpone the vote. But as you can tell, something was
142 > obviously out of sync communication wise because I didn't see this coming.
143
144 *again*, beyond email concerns, the issues y'all are bringing up
145 weren't sprung on you. anoncvs/cvs ro access has been known for quite
146 some time.
147
148 Restating the point, the changes were known for a freaking month prior
149 to the vote.
150
151 It's not out of the blue, nor is the cvs ro requirement.
152
153 > All I'm after is this vote to be properly reconsidered because of a
154 > mandate they accepted after they accepted this GLEP.
155
156 Which opens up an interesting question of how to get the council to do
157 a re-vote on something, something that should be a _general_ process
158 if implemented, not "we have to implement this, but we think it has
159 issues so it should be re-examined".
160
161 ~harring