From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:07:52
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 >>What was posted two months ago is not the same as was posted a day
4 >>before the vote. I didn't see a problem with the original glep from an
5 >>infra POV, thus why I didn't say much about it.
8 > Email wise, you're right- the basic issue of anoncvs/cvs ro access for
9 > ATs however has been in the glep from the beginning (regardless of the
10 > glep having a minimal req tacked into it).
11
12 Where have I disputed the cvs ro access?
13
14 > That said, the subdomain bit has been available since the oct council
15 > meeting. Not something that was particularly sprung, although grounds
16 > for arguing that it wasn't pushed out in the best manner.
17 >
18 > That still doesn't address my point about the basic need of the glep,
19 > anoncvs/cvs ro being known.
20
21 See above
22
23 >>The revised GLEP in question was posted a day before the vote. I was
24 >>watching it, though I didn't get a chance to read through the whole GLEP
25 >>for the changes at the time since I was busy with real life issues. This
26 >>is why I stated in an email [1] that day that they should postpone
27 >>voting on it.
28 >>[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=113199543120777&w=2
31 > Reading through it, it reads more like a comment about the process.
32 > It's also not an explicit request that it be delayed, which I'll
33 > assume is just me misreading it.
34
35 Solar even mentioned it DURING the meeting to hold on the vote. But
36 everyone else thought that everything was covered and passing it
37 wouldn't cause a problem (which was incorrect).
38
39 > Said hole has been closed; what I'm stating is that y'all should work
40 > through what's available rather then a forced re-vote. See tail end
41 > of email for reasoning.
42
43 The hole was closed after they decided on the GLEP. That doesn't make
44 sense. Why make a rule for it while ignoring the current situation at
45 hand? This GLEP was the whole reason they added that stipulation, and it
46 made no sense to me why they didn't apply it to this GLEP they voted
47 upon. They have the power to do it if it out of common sense.
48
49 >>What does trustees have to do with this GLEP? And yes, I was watching
50 >>the ML, but giving me 24hr to respond to a GLEP revision before a vote
51 >>is not reasonable.
54 > Knowing what the revisions where going to be (previous meeting) makes
55 > the 24 hour comment a bit off.
56
57 To me, those revisions should be stated in the GLEP. I shouldn't be
58 expected to look for GLEP changes in a meeting log. If I want to know
59 what changed to the GLEP, I look at the glep. And yes, I could have
60 probably looked on the GLEP site for that, but that doesn't explain why
61 it was pushed in without proper -dev discussion.
62
63 > Email is about the only snafu out of this whole thing that is
64 > reasonably questionable imo. Concerns about load on lark, handling
65 > the new users, etc, no, as I stated, this glep has been around for 2
66 > months without infra asking what's required.
67
68 Its hard to sift through hundreds of emails a day to try and find things
69 like this. I expect things I need to be aware of to be labeled well or
70 in a proper place. And yes, we probably could/should have said something
71 about lark earlier, but didn't catch that before hand.
72
73 > That's the crux of the "caught with the pants down". The fact that
74 > the initial glep could've passed, and still there would be
75 > complaints/issues brought up (beyond email concerns) afterwards
76 > because people didn't pay attention.
77
78 Most likely, see above.
79
80 >>>Sucks, but too damn bad.
81 >>
82 >>I'm not going to reply to that.
83 >
84 > Probably wise, since it wasn't a friendly jab on my part (for which I
85 > should be duly flogged).
86
87 I was rather disappointed in the unprofessional ism of that comment.
88
89 >>Where was it stated that it was posted and was being discussed? Just
90 >>because it was stated in a meeting log and was committed in cvs doesn't
91 >>mean I need to read cvs changelogs. I expect the information about the
92 >>GLEP i need to know about to be in the GLEP and that the revised GLEP to
93 >>be sent with ample time before the meeting at hand. This was not done
94 >>and this is why I'm frustrated with the situation.
97 > Again.. aside from email, the info's been out there.
98
99 I read email more that checking up on cvs or the site. If its something
100 important, it should be posted on -dev for discussion with proper time
101 involved. I admit, I could have looked up the glep.
102
103 > Specifically reverting/changing a glep. See glep1 for actual process,
104 > or nudge glep41 authors to revise and get council to sign off on it
105 > (that chunk is somewhat unspecified procedure wise).
106
107 After we sort out details on our end, I might do that.
108
109 > re-read it, not implying you are, what I'm stating is that no _group_
110 > should have the ability to effectively force the council to
111 > revert/revote on a decision. Doing so means the council loses the
112 > ability to have issues passed up to it, and have it agreed upon gentoo
113 > wide, and have people actually move forward on something.
114 >
115 > Portage shouldn't have it, nor devrel, nor QA, nor infra (obviously my
116 > opinion).
117 >
118 > And yes, I'm well aware some day a brain dead glep may get forced
119 > onto the portage group, in which case feel free to taunt me with those
120 > words. I'll still stand by my statement from above, despite whatever
121 > nasty thoughts may be running through my head. :)
122
123 We're all busy, and we're all prone to miss details of happenings that
124 go on. If infra is going to need to implement something, I would prefer
125 the folks involved to either email us directly, or come in our channel
126 talk with with us directly about their proposal. I know I could have
127 followed the email/glep to get this information, but as you have seen,
128 we have busy lives outside of Gentoo and can't keep up with everything.
129 The proper thing for them to do would ask us directly about the proposal
130 instead of just assuming we watch every single flame email we see on -dev.
131
132 > *again*, beyond email concerns, the issues y'all are bringing up
133 > weren't sprung on you. anoncvs/cvs ro access has been known for quite
134 > some time.
135
136 See above
137
138 > Restating the point, the changes were known for a freaking month prior
139 > to the vote.
140 >
141 > It's not out of the blue, nor is the cvs ro requirement.
142
143 See above
144
145 > Which opens up an interesting question of how to get the council to do
146 > a re-vote on something, something that should be a _general_ process
147 > if implemented, not "we have to implement this, but we think it has
148 > issues so it should be re-examined".
149
150 We need to have safe guards in place so that infra doesn't get catch
151 like this again. I have stated many times that I know that the
152 information was out there for us to see, but we are human and have real
153 lives. We simply cannot catch everything that goes by. I ask for any
154 request like this in the future has a direct conversation with infra so
155 we see the proposal for sure.
158 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
159 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
160
161 ---
162 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
163 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
164
165 ramereth/irc.freenode.net