From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:55:55
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:05:18PM -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > And yes, we probably could/should have said something
3 > about lark earlier, but didn't catch that before hand.
4
5 Shit happens (lark). The appearance/concerns of cvs (specifically the
6 "this won't fly if it's single key") is what I'm pointing at here.
7
8 > >>>Sucks, but too damn bad.
9 > >>
10 > >>I'm not going to reply to that.
11 > >
12 > > Probably wise, since it wasn't a friendly jab on my part (for which I
13 > > should be duly flogged).
14 >
15 > I was rather disappointed in the unprofessional ism of that comment.
16
17 Eh, I don't have the tolerance you do. :)
18
19 The phrasing was intended to make it clear that people not tracking
20 what's going on, then getting bit in the ass by it are to some degree
21 at fault.
22
23 See the apache complaints, and ensuing emerge --news for reasoning
24 behind this one (and yes, the question of how best to push the info
25 out is an issue, but it still requires proactive measures from the
26 people affected).
29 > Solar even mentioned it DURING the meeting to hold on the vote. But
30 > everyone else thought that everything was covered and passing it
31 > wouldn't cause a problem (which was incorrect).
32
33 Solar got overruled. majority vote...
34
35 > The hole was closed after they decided on the GLEP. That doesn't make
36 > sense. Why make a rule for it while ignoring the current situation at
37 > hand? This GLEP was the whole reason they added that stipulation, and it
38 > made no sense to me why they didn't apply it to this GLEP they voted
39 > upon. They have the power to do it if it out of common sense.
40 <snip>
41 > > Specifically reverting/changing a glep. See glep1 for actual process,
42 > > or nudge glep41 authors to revise and get council to sign off on it
43 > > (that chunk is somewhat unspecified procedure wise).
44 >
45 > After we sort out details on our end, I might do that.
46
47 I'll gladly shut up in that case. The concern I have is that the
48 council got stuck in a nasty position, and choose what they thought
49 was an acceptable solution (and modified things so that scenario
50 should never occur again).
51
52 Reversion based upon next day ml complaints I'm not much for since
53 A) the concern was there, and they made a decision (contraversial
54 or not).
55 B) reverting the decision is doable via existing methods, a call for
56 reversion on the dev ml isn't really one of them (imo).
57
58 Why am I being a stickler on this? Reversion via ml complaints after
59 the decision opens the door for vocal minorities to try and revert
60 gleps they dislike, rather then having to force their
61 ideas/goals/changes through normal processes (where people can nuke
62 the bad idea/infighting out via normal means)
63
64 The concern _was_ leveled during the meeting, and decided to move forward.
65 Decision was made. Reverting it (in this case) is a glep thing.
66
67 Asking the council to reconsider something, well, no procedure
68 (frankly I don't think one is needed either), but it would have to be
69 something that occurs on normal schedule, and would be dependant on
70 the council agreeing to reopen discussion. Considering the nature of
71 this scenario, I *still* posit it's glep territory, through and
72 through.
73
74 Note that last paragraph is not from any documentation- just a dump of
75 what I think would be wise/best.
79 Everything following really should be chunked off into another thread
80 to iron it out, since it's not glep41 related (although g41 is the
81 catalyst for it).
82
83 > > re-read it, not implying you are, what I'm stating is that no _group_
84 > > should have the ability to effectively force the council to
85 > > revert/revote on a decision. Doing so means the council loses the
86 > > ability to have issues passed up to it, and have it agreed upon gentoo
87 > > wide, and have people actually move forward on something.
88 > >
89 > > Portage shouldn't have it, nor devrel, nor QA, nor infra (obviously my
90 > > opinion).
91 > >
92 > > And yes, I'm well aware some day a brain dead glep may get forced
93 > > onto the portage group, in which case feel free to taunt me with those
94 > > words. I'll still stand by my statement from above, despite whatever
95 > > nasty thoughts may be running through my head. :)
96 > We're all busy, and we're all prone to miss details of happenings that
97 > go on. If infra is going to need to implement something, I would prefer
98 > the folks involved to either email us directly, or come in our channel
99 > talk with with us directly about their proposal. I know I could have
100 > followed the email/glep to get this information, but as you have seen,
101 > we have busy lives outside of Gentoo and can't keep up with everything.
102 > The proper thing for them to do would ask us directly about the proposal
103
104 > instead of just assuming we watch every single flame email we see on -dev.
105 Personally, I agree within limits. It's not the case currently
106 though (eg, it's not grounds for forcing a reverse of their decision
107 imo).
108
109 > > Which opens up an interesting question of how to get the council to do
110 > > a re-vote on something, something that should be a _general_ process
111 > > if implemented, not "we have to implement this, but we think it has
112 > > issues so it should be re-examined".
113 >
114 > We need to have safe guards in place so that infra doesn't get catch
115 > like this again. I have stated many times that I know that the
116 > information was out there for us to see, but we are human and have real
117 > lives. We simply cannot catch everything that goes by. I ask for any
118 > request like this in the future has a direct conversation with infra so
119 > we see the proposal for sure.
120
121 This is one lack of the council compared to managers; with managers,
122 at least for infra/portage their were members on the board who
123 (usually) knew what was what, and could raise the concerns.
124
125 It also gave undue power to infra/portage, although that's more of a
126 flaw of the TLP setup. Current council _could_ stand to integrate
127 some form of checkup from groups, but I'd be extremely unhappy if it
128 was any form of actual power, versus just consulting/questioning.
129
130 Either way, modify the existing setup is fine, just be aware we're
131 bound by it's rules _now_ till it's modified.
132 ~harring