From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 03:45:45
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:35:58PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > During the latest Council meeting it was determined to set up a new
3 > Working Group to come up with recommendations for improving the state of
4 > the stable tree at a later Council meeting.
5
6 Sign me up!
7 >
8 > Some initial items it was suggested the WG look into is
9 > * The b.g.o workflow, bugs should not be considered fixed until the
10 > fix has reached the stable tree. Today the InVCS keyword exists for
11 > this purpose, but it is used to varying degree amongst developers.
12 > Will a workflow change to introduce a new status, e.g RESOLVED
13 > NeedsStable (name for illustration purpose only) incentivize
14 > developers to not close bugs before it is fixed?
15
16 In selinux we do:
17 UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED == not fixed yet
18 IN_PROGRESS == we've put the fix in the git repo
19 RESO/TESTREQ == new release and in ~arch
20 RESO/FIXED == the fix is stable now
21
22 Both Swift and I use stable so having things stabilized is important and
23 we dont close bugs till they are actually stable lest we forget later.
24 Our saved search for selinux bugs lists all bugs that are not RESO/FIXED
25 or VERIFIED, so RESO/TESTREQ still shows up.
26
27 -- Jason
28
29 > * Are there ways to reduce the stabilization lag of packages
30 > - looking into the effectiveness of ALLARCHES and its use
31 > - possibility for maintainer to stabilize packages themselves for
32 > architectures they have access to (including whether there might
33 > be a need for changes to gentoo infrastructure to facilitate
34 > this)
35 > - Tinderboxing / Automatic tools build test packages and reverse
36 > dependencies in order to assist in stabilization
37 Toralf runs one. Zorry is working on an auto tinderbox too.
38
39 -- Jason
40
41 > Other suggestions are up to the WG to come up with and write up a final
42 > report to the council with the summary of these discussions.
43 >
44 > I've volunteered to chair such as working group. If you want to
45 > participate in it please respond to this thread. Additionally I've set
46 > up #gentoo-wg-stable as a place of coordination.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
50 > OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
51 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3