From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:53:08
1 On 01/06/16 11:19 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 06/01/2016 10:29 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> So here's something more simple wrt GUI USE flags.
6 >>
7 >> Global USE=gui for
8 >> gui - enable an optional graphics user interface or extra GUI tool
9 >>
10 >> Essentially, if it's an optional GUI, it'd be behind a USE=gui, instead
11 >> of USE=gtk, USE=X, USE=qt4 or USE=qt5, when that optional GUI is
12 >> available in only one toolkit version. So hence feature based flag, not
13 >> dependency-based.
14 >>
15 > I know that it was previously mentioned that there was discussion about
16 > this long ago, but I'm not familiar with those discussions. Is someone
17 > more familiar with those discussions able to bring up the talking points?
18 >
19 > One issue that springs to mind though is, let's say a pkg supports only
20 > qt4 for a gui, you'd have the gui flag. Upstream adds qt5 support. Do
21 > you keep the gui flag and make qt4 and qt5 dependent on it, or do you
22 > remove the gui flag? I feel like the latter might lead to confusion,
23 > while the former suggests that the flag should be used more generally
24 > than just one toolkit/version being available.
25
26 This would be the:
27
28 >> There are some other things in the ideas pipeline for when there are
29 >> multiple toolkit choices, but that's something for a different thread,
30 >> a different day and more controversial.
31
32 ...portion. :)