From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 16:59:26
1 On 06/01/2016 12:52 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 01/06/16 11:19 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
3 >> On 06/01/2016 10:29 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
4 >>> Hello,
5 >>>
6 >>> So here's something more simple wrt GUI USE flags.
7 >>>
8 >>> Global USE=gui for
9 >>> gui - enable an optional graphics user interface or extra GUI tool
10 >>>
11 >>> Essentially, if it's an optional GUI, it'd be behind a USE=gui, instead
12 >>> of USE=gtk, USE=X, USE=qt4 or USE=qt5, when that optional GUI is
13 >>> available in only one toolkit version. So hence feature based flag, not
14 >>> dependency-based.
15 >>>
16 >> I know that it was previously mentioned that there was discussion about
17 >> this long ago, but I'm not familiar with those discussions. Is someone
18 >> more familiar with those discussions able to bring up the talking points?
19 >>
20 >> One issue that springs to mind though is, let's say a pkg supports only
21 >> qt4 for a gui, you'd have the gui flag. Upstream adds qt5 support. Do
22 >> you keep the gui flag and make qt4 and qt5 dependent on it, or do you
23 >> remove the gui flag? I feel like the latter might lead to confusion,
24 >> while the former suggests that the flag should be used more generally
25 >> than just one toolkit/version being available.
26 >
27 > This would be the:
28 >
29 >>> There are some other things in the ideas pipeline for when there are
30 >>> multiple toolkit choices, but that's something for a different thread,
31 >>> a different day and more controversial.
32 >
33 > ...portion. :)
36 Ah :)
39 NP-Hardass