From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:26:50
1 On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > I'm not saying that we should remove a package because it has one
4 > trivial bug not fixed in three months. But when upstream is dead, and
5 > nobody in Gentoo is caring for it, has half a dozen open bug (trivial or
6 > not), unsolved or unsolvable for over an year... punt the crap from the
7 > tree and reduce the overload.
8
9 Open trivial bugs don't create any overload, except for those who go
10 looking at them and worrying about them at night.
11
12 As long as it builds on 80%+ of systems and has no serious issues
13 (security in particular) there is no reason to remove a package. Yes,
14 quality issues might cause it to have issues on 80% of systems in the
15 future, and when that happens prune it.
16
17 I have no idea how many open bugs Gentoo has. The reason for this is
18 that I search for bugs that I care about, and the only thing that has
19 to worry about the rest is the database server. If we had a trillion
20 open bugs I'd start worrying about that more, though simply closing
21 them wouldn't help in that case.
22
23 Remove things when they cause problems, not before.
24
25 Rich