From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:53:44
1 On 01/02/2013 13:36, Michael Weber wrote:
2 > Yeah, but test for /usr/share/doc/${PF} (random to irrelevant),
3
4 Which I don't open bugs about any longer.
5
6 > $CFLAGS/$LDFLAGS/$AR (enable these miraculous setup),
7
8 WTF does "enable these miraculous setup" mean? Seriously.
9
10 Also, no I don't test or bother opening bugs for either $AR or $CC. I do
11 test for and open bugs for $CFLAGS/$LDFLAGS handling because _that is
12 what Gentoo is about_ and among other things they work as a good sanity
13 check.
14
15 > automake-1.12 (at
16 > what point in future do you see that as oldest in-tree)
17
18 Are you dense? If automake-1.12 is installed, the majority of the tree
19 _will_ use it. The fact that I test for it is to avoid you getting the
20 bugs from users who really want to use your package.
21
22 > last are no
23 > statement regarding a packages functionality on a plain system.
24
25 If the package is TFU, and nobody cares enough to fix it, the
26 functionality "on a plain system" is screwed up anyway.
27
28 If you can't be bothered to make your package comply with at least the
29 minimum style of the rest of the tree, I'd honestly prefer you gave up
30 tree access.
31
32 > Keep on the ground.
33 > I rather prefer a combined discussion on "principles" or workflow, than
34 > bringing up this discussion for every single package.
35 > This is a general Gentoo list, so the mails might get some kind of
36 > "general".
37
38 The problem here is that it's not general. It's fantasy.
39
40 I'm not saying that we should remove a package because it has one
41 trivial bug not fixed in three months. But when upstream is dead, and
42 nobody in Gentoo is caring for it, has half a dozen open bug (trivial or
43 not), unsolved or unsolvable for over an year... punt the crap from the
44 tree and reduce the overload.
45
46 Also, since you are a dev, instead of complaining at how team $x removes
47 their packages, you can step in and save the package. As Alec said
48 "Gentoo is not a software archival service." so arguing on the principle
49 that we should never delete any package from our tree is simply
50 preposterous.
53 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
54 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/