From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:36:46
1 On 02/01/2013 01:22 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2013 13:07, Michael Weber wrote:
3 >> Making up new situations up like cross-dev, Gentoo/Prefix, or jet
4 >> another cluttered C compiler should not doom working software.
5 >
6 > Which would be all fine and dandy ....
7 >
8 >> I agree on your testing effort and practice, but compliance with the
9 >> weirdest of all setups shouldn't be ultimate reason.
10 >
11 > ... if you had a clue on what you were saying.
12 >
13 > The tinderbox _by design_ is not testing "weirdest of all setups", it's
14 > testing baseline.
15 Yeah, but test for /usr/share/doc/${PF} (random to irrelevant),
16 $CFLAGS/$LDFLAGS/$AR (enable these miraculous setup), automake-1.12 (at
17 what point in future do you see that as oldest in-tree) last are no
18 statement regarding a packages functionality on a plain system.
21 >And if nobody's interested in getting (example)
22 > media-video/w3cam working (#247917 — last activity on the bug by me on
23 > 2010; last activity by someone else in 2008!), I don't see why it should
24 > be kept in tree.
25 *insert random example here*
26 I did not argue to keep these in tree, or to label them a+++.
27 Martin and I did not argue that there are no circumstances an software
28 should be left alone. We both said, that not working with qt3/... may be
29 a strong argument.
30
31 > Bloody hell, I wonder how many people complaining about removing
32 > packages are actually using said packages, rather that complaining on
33 > principles!
34 Keep on the ground.
35 I rather prefer a combined discussion on "principles" or workflow, than
36 bringing up this discussion for every single package.
37 This is a general Gentoo list, so the mails might get some kind of
38 "general".
41 Michael Weber
42 Gentoo Developer
43 web: https://xmw.de/