From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:51:30
1 On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 02:04 AM, Steven Elling wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 31 August 2003 13:14, John Nilsson wrote:
4 >> Some requirement thoughts:
5 >> A network of gentoo hosts should have only one portage processing
6 >> server
7 >> and any number of installation leafs.
8 >>
9 >> First of all portage needs to easily handle more than one
10 >> installation.
11 >> Second the "leaf-installations" should have a very strict minimum
12 >> requiremnts.
13 >> Third redundancy is probably important. The information to restore a
14 >> lost "leaf" should be availible on booth the portage host and on the
15 >> leaf it self.
16 >
17 > I think this is something sorely needed. I'm reading some books on
18 > securing
19 > Linux servers and on a bastion host (or any host in a DMZ for that
20 > matter)
21 > there should not be a compiler or any include files. The reason why
22 > is if
23 > the system were compromised it would limit the cracker from compiling
24 > and
25 > installing a root kit.
26 It would limit them to having to install a root kit, or install a
27 compiler (and needed headers). Kind of pointless though, since if
28 they've managed to elevate their rights to the level of installing a
29 root kit, lack of a compiler is merely an annoyance to them at that
30 point.
31 Maybe I'm missing something, but this strikes me as nothing more then
32 an annoyance to someone after they've *already* cracked the box. To me
33 it's like littering tacks throughout your house, hoping to slow down
34 the robber who has already broke into your house- yeah, it'll likely
35 slow him down, but it's also a makes things a pain in the arse for the
36 home owner...
37 Of course, as I said, perhaps I'm missing something...
38
39 > As it stands right now, a Gentoo based system
40 > requires gcc, includes, and all their friends to operate and be
41 > managable
42 > (Note: Gentoo alone does not have this problem. RedHat, Debian, and
43 > every
44 > kitchen sink distro does the same).
45 >
46 > I like Gentoo, but it is not a viable option to the security concious
47 > and
48 > enterprises because it does not support such a feature in addition to
49 > central package management.
50 I'd agree on the central package management aspect- the ability to
51 control and push updates out (after securing the method/control
52 channels in some manner) would be quite nice. None the less, I'd tend
53 to think (opinion of course) gentoo is quite fine from a security
54 standpoint. You're reasons for it not being viable?
55
56 > Gentoo is no alone however.
57 >
58 > For reference, the book I am reading is "Building Secure Servers with
59 > Linux"
60 > (ISBN: 0-596-00217-3). The book is written by Michael D. Bauer and
61 > published by O'Reilly.
62 I'll probably end up taking a look at it (got to love safari), specific
63 chapter that this is suggested in?
64 ~bdh
67 > --
68 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list