From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:04:30
1 On Sunday 31 August 2003 13:14, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > Some requirement thoughts:
3 > A network of gentoo hosts should have only one portage processing server
4 > and any number of installation leafs.
5 >
6 > First of all portage needs to easily handle more than one installation.
7 > Second the "leaf-installations" should have a very strict minimum
8 > requiremnts.
9 > Third redundancy is probably important. The information to restore a
10 > lost "leaf" should be availible on booth the portage host and on the
11 > leaf it self.
12
13 I think this is something sorely needed. I'm reading some books on securing
14 Linux servers and on a bastion host (or any host in a DMZ for that matter)
15 there should not be a compiler or any include files. The reason why is if
16 the system were compromised it would limit the cracker from compiling and
17 installing a root kit. As it stands right now, a Gentoo based system
18 requires gcc, includes, and all their friends to operate and be managable
19 (Note: Gentoo alone does not have this problem. RedHat, Debian, and every
20 kitchen sink distro does the same).
21
22 I like Gentoo, but it is not a viable option to the security concious and
23 enterprises because it does not support such a feature in addition to
24 central package management. Gentoo is no alone however.
25
26 For reference, the book I am reading is "Building Secure Servers with Linux"
27 (ISBN: 0-596-00217-3). The book is written by Michael D. Bauer and
28 published by O'Reilly.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list