From: Felix Janda <felix.janda@××××××.de>
To: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs: app-misc/jail (perl)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 01:09:03
1 > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-misc/jail
2 >
3 > The proxied maintainer was also upstream.
4 >
5 > Jail is a Perl tool that builds a chroot and configures all the required
6 > files, directories and libraries
7 > https://github.com/spiculator/jail
8 >
9 > I do not understand why we need so many patches for the package, if
10 > the proxied maintainer was also upstream.
11
12 https://bugs.gentoo.org/514892
13
14 should explain this.
15
16 > Upstream is silent since many years. I have no idea what the tool is worth.
17 > Proxied maintainer Felix (https://bugs.gentoo.org/632752) forked the
18 > upstram on github and can probably help us with this package. Please
19 > contact proxy maintainer project, if you are interested.
20 > I think, Felix plus a gentoo developer with perl experience would make a
21 > good team.
22
23 I do not really have interest in this package. The fork was just in
24 order to be able to make a drive-by musl fix. (It was a low-hanging
25 fruit from the list of musl build failures from blueness' tinderbox.)
26 (Fixing https://bugs.gentoo.org/580326 would actually also fix the
27 musl issue.)
28
29 Since the upstream project has only 4 commits of which the last was in
30 2014, and there is no other github activity apart from my pull request,
31 the interest in this package seems to be rather low, and I would suggest
32 considering last-riting it.
33
34 Felix