From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New ALSA maintainers
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:57:23
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > I have suggested that herd support for the kernelspace side
3 > (alsa-driver) be slowly reduced, by redirecting users who file bugs
4 > against it to reproduce with the in-kernel drivers, and then let kernel
5 > handle the bug resolution. This will remove duplicated maintenance
6 > efforts.
7 >
8 This is perfectly reasonable where it is a card with drivers in both, but
9 alas-drivers supports a broader range of hardware, eg the echo audio cards
10 (guess who has one ;) which have never been available in-kernel.
11
12 > This will also mean no more stabling of -rc releases (and probably fewer
13 > of those in portage at all).
14 >
15 Sounds fine.
16
17 > alsa-driver won't be going away altogether, as it is still needed for
18 > 2.4 users (but we won't support them forever) and I think it may include
19 > a couple of drivers which aren't yet in the kernel tree.
20 >
21 So the bug resolution for cards with drivers _not_ in the kernel will be to
22 pass them upstream if they are reproducible?
23 I guess I'd like some assurance that as long as alsa-drivers supports
24 hardware for which there are no kernel drivers, it will at least be
25 available in the portage tree.
26
27 It might be worth stripping duplicate drivers out of alsa-drivers altogether
28 so that the two might even co-exist? Would eliminate the bug duplication in
29 any event. From what I've read in this thread, the only area of difficulty
30 would be new chipsets, but then there'd be more developer time with less
31 bugs, and that seems to be the way things are going anyhow.
32
33 Thanks for all your hard work on the kernel.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list