From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 08:11:00
1 On Tue, 30 May 2017 10:05:41 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Tue, 30 May 2017, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Tue, 30 May 2017 00:01:16 +0200
7 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > >> Also, can we find a better name? Sorry for the bikeshedding at this
10 > >> early stage, but I believe that ENFORCED_USE can be easily confused
11 > >> with use.force in profiles. MAPPED_USE? USE_MAP?
12 >
13 > > Why do we even need a new name ?
14 >
15 > This was under the assumption that we would somewhat restrict the
16 > syntax.
17 >
18 > Sure, if someone comes up with an algorithm that will give a unique
19 > and predictable solution with current REQUIRED_USE syntax then we can
20 > keep the old name.
21
22 Even if restricting the syntax I'm not sure it is desirable either: If
23 we keep current REQUIRED_USE we'll still have cases where it'll fail
24 horribly, hence not fixing the issue.
27 If all you care about is the syntax, then sure it is doable, but the
28 semantics have to change, and I don't see much difference in
29 restricting the syntax vs. changing its meaning.