From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: libexec directory inconsistency
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:33:15
1 On Sonntag, 24. April 2011, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 04/24/2011 10:43 PM, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
3 > > Getting that discussion back on top.
4 > >
5 > >> Which is wrong, it should be /lib/foo instead, not $(get_libdir), to
6 > >> follow what udev and other software in Linux has been using for a very
7 > >> long time now.
8 > >
9 > > Sounds like we should fix udev ebuild and some ebuilds installing udev
10 > > rules to not use /$(get_libdir)/udev, but plain /lib/udev.
11 >
12 > Right, doesn't make sense to have both 32bit and 64bit ELF's for udev,
13 > so we should stick with /lib/udev.
14 >
15 > > I used that in believe that /lib is identical or links to /$(get_libdir)
16 > > and multilib-strict requires it, but it seems to be intelligent enough
17 > > to only deny 64-bit libs to go to /lib.
18 > >
19 > > So proper udev should use /lib/udev, correct?
20 >
21 > Correct.
25 > The udev situation is really a mess tree-wide, we have ebuilds
26 > installing into 3 different directories now:
27 >
28 > /etc/udev (where user puts his local rules)
29 > /$(get_libdir)/udev (as explained above)
30 > /lib/udev (the correct one)
31 >
32 > Check the Portage to see the sad status of inconsistency:
33 >
34 > $ grep -r 'etc.*udev' */*/*.ebuild
35 > $ grep -r 'get_libdir.*udev' */*/*.ebuild
36
37 And this does not even catch the cases where Makefiles (eventuelly together
38 with configure-parameters) install to any of these three locations.
39
40 By the way, the bug that led me to think about the install location is this
41 Bug #363549
42
43 Matthias