From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:24:04
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
6 >>>> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
7 >>>
8 >>> We don't even update kernels as part of the regular update process,
9 >>> let alone initramfs systems.
10 >>>
11 >>> In general you update them together.
12 >>>
13 >>> The only issue I could see is if problems arise if you have a
14 >>> different version of udev in your initramfs than on your system. I
15 >>> don't know if that actually causes problems. For the most part after
16 >>> the system is booted the initramfs is done its job.
17 >>
18 >> The most widely touted benefit I've heard for initramfs is its
19 >> capability to ease system recovery in case, e.g. a critical filesystem
20 >> refuses to mount. With recovery roles come recovery tools, which
21 >> quickly extends network-aware tools and a security attack surface.
22 >
23 > The real benefit is that it allows you to mount any partition, if the
24 > tools to mount it live in the same partition.
25
26 Certainly that's a benefit.
27
28 > Recovering tools can be
29 > put in the initramfs, but I don't think nobody actually thinks that
30 > this is the "most widely touted benefit". Again, citation please.
31
32 I'm sorry, but I'm not going to grep through almost a decade of IRC
33 logs to find every discussion where someone says 'well, just put $tool
34 in your {initramfs,initrd}.' It's definitely something I've seen a
35 number of times. I *know* I've heard the line more than once in LUG
36 meetings, from people who hand-build theirs, but given that's a
37 local-to-me thing, you probably wouldn't know most of them by name.
40 >> Hence why I tend to feel that if an initramfs is going to become the
41 >> go-to solution for bootstrapping userland, it's important to consider
42 >> the difficulties of keeping the packed tools up-to-date; it's not just
43 >> a bootstrap tool, it's also the first recovery option a sysadmin
44 >> faces.
45 >
46 > If you keep your initramfs synchronized (which is easily done with
47 > dracut, for example), that problem goes away.
48
49 Again, dracut isn't stable, genkernel isn't part of any normal routine
50 system update, and I hold the same trepidations expressed by Rich
51 about limitations on circumstances where that's even appropriate.
52 --
53 :wq