From: Zach Forrest <diatribe@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:09:27
1 Before using python as an example, I had actually played with the idea
2 of using XML. Any thoughts on this? I know that compared to a plain text
3 file both of these notions seem somewhat cumbersome, but there are a
4 couple of arguments for using a more structured approach. One,
5 programatically handling the data is easier. Using either python or XML
6 (and a parser) allows named access rather positional access to the
7 fields. It also makes the definition of "records" more clear and easier
8 to understand for new developers (i.e. me). It wouldn't be too difficult
9 to parse XML (even into a dictionary).
10
11 As far as GConf is concerned, I think that the base system should have
12 as few dependencies as possible. Python is already required, and, in my
13 opinion, with its XML capabilities (or just using dictionaries) I
14 believe a solution along these lines would be preferable.
15
16 Zach.
19 Mikael Hallendal wrote:
20