From: Ryan Hill <rhill@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: LTO use in the tree
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 23:56:04
1 On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:10:19 -0700
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > One thing I forgot to mention - LTO can also have detrimental effect on
5 > > certain architectures. On some (eg. ppc), performance can actually be
6 > > degraded due to increased register pressure. On others like alpha it's
7 > > questionable if it'll even work at all...
8 >
9 > Worked for me on alpha, at least for what I tried. It cut eix's binary
10 > from 2 to 1.3 MB as well.
11
12 Cool, thanks for the info. I was going by the request we had back in 4.6 to
13 turn off LTO for alpha because an upstream developer mentioned it wasn't
14 expected to work.
18 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
19 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
20
21 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463