From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 21:00:24
1 W dniu sob, 31.03.2018 o godzinie 20∶46 +0100, użytkownik Andrey Utkin
2 napisał:
3 > On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:57:06AM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On 03/29/2018 11:28 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
7 > > > >
8 > > > > Is there any particular reason we need to remove them?
9 > > > >
10 > > >
11 > > > The PMS says that empty directories are undefined, so the portage
12 > > > behavior of installing them and leaving them alone leads to
13 > > > incompatibilities. Ebuilds rely on the portage behavior, and if another
14 > > > PM (within its rights) deletes them, then the package breaks with the
15 > > > non-portage PM.
16 > > >
17 > > >
18 > >
19 > > So we could simply change the PMS to keep the empty directories?
20 > >
21 > > Why is removing them *better* is my question.
22 >
23 > Right, I am not aware why PMS has left this explicitly undefined. Have
24 > read through https://bugs.gentoo.org/644366 but there's no hint on why,
25 > too. I appreciate mjo's proposal. I think it would be good for ebuild
26 > maintainer to have a switch "empty dirs are ok by default". The
27 > disagreement seems to be based on a prejudice and distrust towards
28 > upstreams' build systems.
29
30 You can accuse developers of 'prejudice and distrust', or you can
31 believe that they actually have some experience and knowledge to prove
32 the point. But if you start with prejudice towards Gentoo developers,
33 then I suppose there's no point in arguing further.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny