From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 19:47:11
1 On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:57:06AM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 03/29/2018 11:28 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Is there any particular reason we need to remove them?
7 > > >
8 > >
9 > > The PMS says that empty directories are undefined, so the portage
10 > > behavior of installing them and leaving them alone leads to
11 > > incompatibilities. Ebuilds rely on the portage behavior, and if another
12 > > PM (within its rights) deletes them, then the package breaks with the
13 > > non-portage PM.
16 > So we could simply change the PMS to keep the empty directories?
17 >
18 > Why is removing them *better* is my question.
19
20 Right, I am not aware why PMS has left this explicitly undefined. Have
21 read through https://bugs.gentoo.org/644366 but there's no hint on why,
22 too. I appreciate mjo's proposal. I think it would be good for ebuild
23 maintainer to have a switch "empty dirs are ok by default". The
24 disagreement seems to be based on a prejudice and distrust towards
25 upstreams' build systems.