From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:57:15
1 On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 03/29/2018 11:28 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Is there any particular reason we need to remove them?
8 > The PMS says that empty directories are undefined, so the portage
9 > behavior of installing them and leaving them alone leads to
10 > incompatibilities. Ebuilds rely on the portage behavior, and if another
11 > PM (within its rights) deletes them, then the package breaks with the
12 > non-portage PM.
15 So we could simply change the PMS to keep the empty directories?
16
17 Why is removing them *better* is my question.