From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rethinking multilib flags in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:01:31
1 On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 11:54 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Wed, 08 May 2019 11:41:41 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > There's multilib that adds a lot of flags with a single eclass
6 > > > change, but I'd guess the number of packages and flags is
7 > > > constantly growing, so sooner or later you'll be hit by this again
8 > > > and no multilib killing will help you then.
9 > > >
10 > > > I think it is more future proof to use the addition of multilib
11 > > > flags to fix pkgcheck rather than actively reducing the number of
12 > > > multilib flags to cope with its limitations.
13 > >
14 > > Then please do it, by all means. The reality is simple. If the tool
15 > > is broken, you either fix it or stop doing what you know that breaks
16 > > it. Being unable to do the former, and having no good replacement,
17 > > I'd go for the latter.
18 >
19 > Well, why is it slow ? IO ? CPU ? Did you collect profiling data ?
20
21 CPU definitely. More detail than that, I don't and I don't have time to
22 investigate.
23
24 > Where are the scripts to repro the issue ?
25
26 https://github.com/mgorny/pkgcore/tree/repo-mirror-ci
27 https://github.com/mgorny/pkgcheck/tree/repo-mirror-ci
28
29 (repo-mirror-ci branch in both cases)
30
31 I suppose master branch suffers from the same problem but I didn't find
32 time to check (and it is not very helpful until I find time to rebase
33 all my fixes that weren't merged before refactoring everything).
34
35 > > > Also, remember that multilib is not entirely about skype or slack,
36 > > > this was made with multibin in mind too: for example an ABI may
37 > > > perform better than another one on specific workflows (x32) and it
38 > > > may make sense to use this abi for a specific binary (which would
39 > > > be manually built for now).
40 > >
41 > > No, it weren't. Just because someone found it convenient to use the
42 > > design beyond its original purpose doesn't mean it had a different
43 > > purpose. Besides, how many 'multibin' packages do we have right now?
44 >
45 > It was, because portage multilib was doing this and claimed to have a
46 > use for this.
47
48 I am not talking of 'portage multilib'. I am talking of multilib-build
49 implementation. If you are only concerned about the former, we can
50 surely drop those abi_* flags that are irrelevant to it, can't we?
51
52 > Its original purpose was generic enough to allow multibin
53 > to be added easily. The number of multibin packages is only
54 > relevant to show that this is not important enough for someone
55 > to step up and do it: Everybody can easily build anything themselves
56 > with the current implementation.
57
58 Exactly. And that's why I believe having fast CI is more important than
59 DIY multibin. If someone can 'easily build anything themselves', they
60 can also add needed flags locally.
64 Best regards,
65 Michał Górny