From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:17:44
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 10:22:59 +0200 Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > > > My idea would be:
3 > > >
4 > > > 1. import "dev-libs/libressl" (this will block dev-libs/openssl) and
5 > > > introduce the global USE flag "libressl" with the following
8 > > Please try to avoid such block, e.g. install libressl to a separate
9 > > location. This is easier to do when introducing package to the
10 > > tree, rather when facing large-scale blockers. Otherwise one day we
11 > > will face nasty bug like mutual heimdal/mit-krb5 blocker[1], where
12 > > foo will work only openssl, bar only with libressl and users will
13 > > need both.
14 >
15 > If they're abi incompatible but share some namespace (symbols, soname,
16 > library names, etc.) I think that's a terrible idea since that'd
17 > introduce runtime bugs.
18 >
19 > I've faced something like that recently: opencv can link to qt4 or qt5.
20 > but if you link a qt5 program to opencv[qt4] it'll fail in terrible
21 > ways. you'd have the same replacing qt4/qt5 by libressl/openssl.
22
23 Probably slotting of opencv will help here: have both qt4 and qt5
24 versions. Other distributions are being able to handle mit-krb5 and
25 heidmal on the same system simultaneously, so should we. Situation
26 with openssl/libressl, ffmpeg/libav and so on is effectively the
27 same: when we have couples of libraries deliberately incompatible
28 with each other why sharing pretty much common namespace.
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew Savchenko