From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:51:04
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:17:11 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 10:22:59 +0200 Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > > > My idea would be:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > 1. import "dev-libs/libressl" (this will block
8 > > > > dev-libs/openssl) and introduce the global USE flag "libressl"
9 > > > > with the following description:
10 > > >
11 > > > Please try to avoid such block, e.g. install libressl to a
12 > > > separate location. This is easier to do when introducing package
13 > > > to the tree, rather when facing large-scale blockers. Otherwise
14 > > > one day we will face nasty bug like mutual heimdal/mit-krb5
15 > > > blocker[1], where foo will work only openssl, bar only with
16 > > > libressl and users will need both.
17 > >
18 > > If they're abi incompatible but share some namespace (symbols,
19 > > soname, library names, etc.) I think that's a terrible idea since
20 > > that'd introduce runtime bugs.
21 > >
22 > > I've faced something like that recently: opencv can link to qt4 or
23 > > qt5. but if you link a qt5 program to opencv[qt4] it'll fail in
24 > > terrible ways. you'd have the same replacing qt4/qt5 by
25 > > libressl/openssl.
26 >
27 > Probably slotting of opencv will help here: have both qt4 and qt5
28 > versions. Other distributions are being able to handle mit-krb5 and
29 > heidmal on the same system simultaneously, so should we. Situation
30 > with openssl/libressl, ffmpeg/libav and so on is effectively the
31 > same: when we have couples of libraries deliberately incompatible
32 > with each other why sharing pretty much common namespace.
33
34 Yes, that's what gnome team is doing with gtk2 vs gtk3; however, I'm
35 not sure how much work it is. Only package I know of providing
36 different slots depending on what it's built upon is webkit-gtk.
37
38 I can't imagine every library using {open,libre}ssl provide two slots,
39 two different libraries, two different pkg-config and the like files,
40 etc. And every package using a library that uses a library that uses a
41 library that uses {open,libre}ssl to have to chose what ssl library to
42 use.