From: Wolfram Schlich <lists@×××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] /etc/services
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:54:02
1 Hi,
2
3 the Gentoo /etc/services file is way smaller, than the one from SuSE
4 and the one from IANA:
5 --8<--
6 prometheus etc # wc -l services.* | head -n 3
7 362 services.Gentoo
8 8103 services.IANA
9 5113 services.SuSE
10 prometheus etc # du -h services.*
11 15K services.Gentoo
12 330K services.IANA
13 207K services.SuSE
14 prometheus etc #
15 --8<--
16
17 Where does the Gentoo file come from? Is it self made, is it taken
18 from some BSD or maybe Debian?
19 I believe it's a good idea to use such a large /etc/services as the
20 one from IANA, as it acts as kinda port encyclopedia, at least for
21 me, sometimes :)
22
23 Something I've also noticed is that there are services names which
24 differ, like:
25
26 Gentoo: pop-3
27 IANA: pop3
28 SuSE: pop3
29
30 Why the heck?! This renders some configuration files unusable for
31 interchaning in between SuSE and Gentoo machines without manual
32 interference :-(( Also the IANA AFAIK is the authoritative institution
33 for assigning service names to ports.
34
35 I've put up all three files at:
36
37 http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.Gentoo
38 http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.IANA
39 http://wolfram.schlich.org/tmp/gentoo/services.SuSE
40
41 Why not use the /etc/services from IANA? I'm already doing that... :)
42 --
43 Wolfram Schlich; Friedhofstr. 8, D-88069 Tettnang; +49-(0)178-SCHLICH
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list