From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:26:19
1 * Micha?? G?rny <mgorny@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 > > I was talking about other things, like giving up the typical
4 > > unix-style separation of subsystems, all the bloating happening
5 > > in certain DE's and then pulling down that bloat to the system
6 > > level (just starting w/ dbus)
7 >
8 > Yes, three arguments and just a one, silly example which is basically
9 > incorrect assuming noone obliges you to use systemd.
10
11 IIRC, systemd is not the only system-level package depending on dbus.
12
13 > > Yes, what's the big deal ? Done that with thousands of nodes.
14 >
15 > Without initramfs?
16
17 Yes. Using PXE and nfsroot.
18
19 > Syncing rootfs over and over again or just updating
20 > packages installing into it once a year?
21
22 Regularily updating packages, but with quite conservative policy.
23 Of course, this required proper service restarts, etc,
24 but thats an topic on its own ...
25
26 > > > That's because people would like to get rid of additional
27 > > > directories in /, not introduce additional ones.
28 > >
29 > > Aha. Then why not also moving /home, /etc and /var to /usr, too ? ;-o
30 > > (hmm, some mindless jerks really could pick up that silly idea...)
31 >
32 > You should consider taking like 1 or 2 hours of your precious time to
33 > read about the use and meaning of various directories in the filesystem.
34
35 I studied FHS and its purpose somewhat >15 years ago, and I don't
36 want to repeat all the arguments. My argument was just: if you
37 wanna move /bin+co to /usr for easier maintenance, you could also
38 put /usr/* to / for quite the same reasons.
41 cu
42 --
44 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
45
46 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
47 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
49 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme