From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: weigelt@×××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:05:18
1 On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 19:41:27 +0100
2 Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > * Micha?? G?rny <mgorny@g.o> schrieb:
5 >
6 > > > I don't want to repeat all the arguments, why these
7 > > > Windows-imitator guys are completely wrong, anymore. (IMHO
8 > > > already been said in this thread).
9 > >
10 > > Yes, having a single locations for all applications is so-windows.
11 > > We should go the other way then, and create a separate prefix for
12 > > every application. I wonder why we removed that awesome /usr/X11R6.
13 >
14 > I was talking about other things, like giving up the typical
15 > unix-style separation of subsystems, all the bloating happening
16 > in certain DE's and then pulling down that bloat to the system
17 > level (just starting w/ dbus)
18
19 Yes, three arguments and just a one, silly example which is basically
20 incorrect assuming noone obliges you to use systemd.
21
22 > > > If upstream really wants to stick in that silly chance, it's time
23 > > > for a fork. We're already allocating about 20..30hrs per week
24 > > > beginning with 2012/2 for such a project in our resource plan.
25 > > > This stupidity can become really dangerous thousands of systems
26 > > > around the world, so it needs to be stopped.
27 > >
28 > > Wow, an enterprise fork taking 20-30 hrs per week to reimplement
29 > > hacks necessary for running applications randomly spread over
30 > > filesystems?
31 >
32 > This is just our donation, I'm hoping others will join in.
33 > For the actual development, half of the resources should be
34 > fine, but testing dozens of uncommon scenarios will eat up
35 > a multiple of that.
36
37 I thought you reserved that much time for mailing lists.
38
39 > > > BTW: the original argument (AFAIK) is that moving everything to
40 > > > /usr should somehow make maintenance easier. Well, how actually ?
41 > > > Perhaps for people who are too lazy to backup a few more
42 > > > directories ? Silly.
43 > >
44 > > Enjoy sharing those few more directories over NFS.
45 >
46 > Yes, what's the big deal ? Done that with thousands of nodes.
47
48 Without initramfs? Syncing rootfs over and over again or just updating
49 packages installing into it once a year?
50
51 > > > Actually, at this point, I'd raise the question why not dropping
52 > > > /usr instead (in little steps). The impact is practically the
53 > > > same (well, replaces the risk of unbootable system by the risk
54 > > > of filling up separated / filesystems) but would remove an
55 > > > then obsolete additional directory. ;-O
56 > >
57 > > That's because people would like to get rid of additional
58 > > directories in /, not introduce additional ones.
59 >
60 > Aha. Then why not also moving /home, /etc and /var to /usr, too ? ;-o
61 > (hmm, some mindless jerks really could pick up that silly idea...)
62
63 You should consider taking like 1 or 2 hours of your precious time to
64 read about the use and meaning of various directories in the filesystem.
67 Best regards,
68 Michał Górny