From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 11:47:30
1 On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:44 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Honestly I'd say just put -1 on all acct- packages then let sys admins
4 > modify them locally to whatever they need. I feel like this whole GLEP
5 > just serves the minority while making many other contributors uneasy.
8 I think we're worrying far too much about people with decade-old
9 installs. Just come up with a reasonable set of defaults and as long
10 as it can adapt to whatever is already in /etc/passwd we're fine.
11
12 Having UIDs chosen completely at random seems fairly non-optimal.
13 Suppose you're building containers/etc and then bind-mounting in
14 persistent storage (/var/lib/mysql and so on). Wouldn't it be nice if
15 the default were that mysql would get the same UID on every build? I
16 guess you could provide an initial /etc/passwd on every fresh build
17 but it just seems like an extra step.
18
19 This isn't about serving the minority so much as not letting the
20 perfect be the enemy of the good. Yes, there are reasons why GLEP 81
21 won't be perfect. That doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea...
24 Rich