From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mirroring distfiles/patches on patches.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:30:42
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > To my fellow Gentoo Devlopers and Users,
3 >
4 > The Gentoo Infrastructure team proposed this idea in june 2006
5 > * Reduce mirror time for Gentoo specific patches/tarballs
6 > * Offer an official location for Gentoo specific patches/tarballs
7 > (Instead of using dev.g.o, this would be the official place)
8 > * Offer a distributed (3+ servers) mirror rotation for this
9 >
10 > This would be the "official" location for those distfiles when infra makes
11 > it available. I am asking them for status reports on this you will maybe
12 > see some here :)
13 >
14 > But for the meantime I am using http://gentooexperimental.org/~genstef/dist
15 > for this purpose. The reason is that I can remove and add stuff there
16 > myself and can keep control of what gets deleted. I can use my favourite
17 > scripts to create distfiles and keep them ordered. For example I am using
18 > this for firefox-2.0. This workaround I initially had to use when I
19 > discovered a bug in the mirroring script that was annoying me regularly.
20 > The mirroring script does ignore all RESTRICT=mirror SRC_URIs even those at
21 > mirror://gentoo/.
22 > "Bug 121332 ppp patch missing from distfiles"
23 > "Bug 100260 The File foo2zjs-20050319.tar.gz missed on Gentoo-Mirrors"
24 > Those get uploaded and look fine but after 6 months they are suddenly being
25 > removed by the script.
28 There is a distfiles whitelist[1] for this exact purpose...isn't there?
29
30 [1]
31 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/mirrors/overview-distfile.xml
32 --