From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:50:03
1 On 3/3/06, Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
2 > > It gets the point across effectively. I don't see your problem.
3 >
4 > What kind of point does it get across, exactly? That flipping a coin or
5 > forcing your personal preference is a better solution than letting users
6 > decide what kind of functionality they prefer? Don't you think users do know
7 > better? What's the point of such policy? You call forcing random feature on
8 > users instead of letting them decide QA? I don't.
9
10 I agree. Adopting a policy like this is a low quality solution for
11 servers. I've no opinion on how this affects desktops, but packages
12 for servers need to be precise. A policy that says "if two USE
13 flags deliver the same benefits, but conflict, pick one" is fine. But
14 saying "flip a coin" ... how on earth is that "quality"?
15
16 And how the heck is it going to work w/ USE-based defaults? This
17 creates a situation where package (b) cannot trust that a feature is
18 enabled in package (a), even if package (a) was built with the
19 required USE flags.
20
21 I'll go as far as saying that right now I'm embarrased that it looks
22 like this is going to become a Gentoo policy in its current form.
23 You're absolutely *not* creating a better user experience. You're
24 brushing a problem under the carpet ... and making it the users'
25 problem when they wonder why the built a package with a USE flag and
26 the package still doesn't work as they expect.
27
28 Until Portage supports resolving conflicting USE flags when the
29 deptree is built, the practical thing to do is for ebuilds w/
30 conflicting USE flags to bail.
31
32 Best regards,
33 Stu