From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qpkg
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:12:19
1 > Perhaps, though, qpkg should not flag major revisions as duplicates. For
2 > instance, qpkg flags the following packages as duplicates:
3 >
4 > x11-libs/qt-2.3.1
5 > x11-libs/qt-3.0.1
6 > media-libs/freetype-2.0.5-r1
7 > media-libs/freetype-1.3.1-r3
8 > sys-devel/automake-1.4_p5
9 > sys-devel/automake-1.4-r2
10 >
11 > The first two sets are not duplicates because they are incompatible major
12 > versions. The dbm libraries also have this issue (there are three major
13 > versions in common use, though I'm not sure what's included with gentoo.)
14 > I have no idea what to do about the last set - it's not possible to tell
15 > by the name which is more recent (I'm not sure how I got into this
16 > situation either!)
17 I think it's not "The Right Thing (tm)" to make qpkg
18 handle freetype/db/qt libraries as a special cases.
19 Having multiple UNcompatible versions of the same PACKAGE
20 (note: not library) will interfere with a lot of other stuff.
21 Consider something like "--autounmerge" options(I'd like to see
22 something like this in portage btw.) that would unmerge old version
23 if newer version successfully installed.
24 The proper way IMHO would be to split freetype into freetype and
25 freetype2, removing all conflicts. The same aplies to db/db2/db3 etc.
26 This is the standard way of dealing with such stuff I think.
27 I can add some exceptions list to qpkg, though, if freetype maintainer
28 (Daniel?) does not want to split it.