From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:49:35
1 splite wrote:
2
3 > No flaming intended. As it happens, I read your last paragraph very
4 > carefully, hoping to see a big "April Fool!" at the end.
5 >
6 > Sorry if my style offended you, but I wasn't aware that "intellectual"
7 > meant "oblivious to satire." So let me be direct:
8 >
9 > The stuff you're proposing is what's killing Debian, and steered me away
10 > from it in the first place. I suspect I'm not the only one.
11 >
12 > Here are some serious, intellectual questions (note the scholarly
13 > Roman numerals):
14 >
15 > I. Wouldn't developer's time be better spent _developing_ instead of reading
16 > minutes, making motions, and voting?
17 >
18 > II. Wouldn't users's time be better spent _using_ Gentoo to get some actual
19 > work done instead of reading proposed amendments and lobbying for new
20 > rules?
21 >
22 > As a user and potential developer, I certainly don't have time for that
23 > kind of shit. If I want politics, I'll watch C-SPAN or run for city
24 > council.
27 IMHO, Politics will always exist, even in an organization like Gentoo.
28 You raise several good points, I admit that, but don't you think that
29 your "satire" came off a little bit harsh in your original post? Satire
30 can be good satire or bad satire. It's all about how you phrase it.
31
32 All the things zhen proposed were merely proposals. They are not
33 anything concrete or set in stone. It is probable that any proposals
34 made by zhen may have all live through debate to see the light of day,
35 or all may be consigned to bitrot in /dev/null. It is also probable
36 that some (but not all) of his proposals may survive. Who knows? What
37 matters is they were just that -- Proposals. Ideas.
38
39 Because of the fact that they were just proposals, I think the way you
40 made your point was perhaps a bit harsh, and a bit uneccessary. There
41 are better ways to say things w/o satiraclly picking apart every single
42 sentence to expose any possible flaws. You could have been much more
43 polite in stating your belief of why Gentoo should steer clear of such
44 ideas to avoid becoming the next Debian.
48 > Good, I hate flamewars.
49 >
50 > If by "grow up", you mean, "saddle myself and others with lots of
51 > arbitrary rules in lieu of doing useful work", then no thanks.
52 >
53 > And here I thought I was being proactive. Or should I wait until the first
54 > Gentoo Continental Congress and submit my concerns as a rider to an
55 > appropriations bill? Shoot, I'm satirising again, aren't I?
56 >
57 > Seriously, I don't doubt your good intentions, but IMO, you're taking
58 > Gentoo way _too_ seriously. Gentoo is fun and useful. Rules and politics
59 > can only make it less so.
63 You're absolutely right on several things here. Flamewars suck, so lets
64 not turn this discussion into one. Second, Gentoo is indeed very fun.
65 I was drawn to Gentoo because of the community atmosphere, and because
66 developers were friendly to users. Even to users who are using Gentoo
67 as their very first Gentoo install. This alone shows the vastly
68 different attitude within Gentoo when compared to other distributions
69 and other OSS OSes.
70
71 I don't see Gentoo becoming heavily politicized. But I do feel Gentoo
72 needs better structuring as an organization. Several of the ideas
73 proposed by zhen could very well assist that. I'm quite sure if any of
74 his proposals are found to be incompatible with how Gentoo structures
75 itself, they will be summarily tossed aside and forgotten in the annals
76 of time. No need to lash out with such ferocity at mere concepts, ideas
77 that haven't even been discussed/debated yet. Simply state your opinion
78 of said ideas, and back them up with proper logical reasoning. That is
79 the most any of us can hope to do.
80
81 --Kumba
85 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
86 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
87 elsewhere." --Elrond
91 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list