From: splite <gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu>
To: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:15:35
1 On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:08:01PM -0400, John Davis wrote:
2 >
3 > Apparently, you did not read my last paragraph that asked for
4 > *intellectual* discussion, and not a flame war.
5
6 No flaming intended. As it happens, I read your last paragraph very
7 carefully, hoping to see a big "April Fool!" at the end.
8
9 Sorry if my style offended you, but I wasn't aware that "intellectual"
10 meant "oblivious to satire." So let me be direct:
11
12 The stuff you're proposing is what's killing Debian, and steered me away
13 from it in the first place. I suspect I'm not the only one.
14
15 Here are some serious, intellectual questions (note the scholarly
16 Roman numerals):
17
18 I. Wouldn't developer's time be better spent _developing_ instead of reading
19 minutes, making motions, and voting?
20
21 II. Wouldn't users's time be better spent _using_ Gentoo to get some actual
22 work done instead of reading proposed amendments and lobbying for new
23 rules?
24
25 As a user and potential developer, I certainly don't have time for that
26 kind of shit. If I want politics, I'll watch C-SPAN or run for city
27 council.
28
29 > I am not going to flame with you, grow up, learn to be proactive.
30
31 Good, I hate flamewars.
32
33 If by "grow up", you mean, "saddle myself and others with lots of
34 arbitrary rules in lieu of doing useful work", then no thanks.
35
36 And here I thought I was being proactive. Or should I wait until the first
37 Gentoo Continental Congress and submit my concerns as a rider to an
38 appropriations bill? Shoot, I'm satirising again, aren't I?
39
40 Seriously, I don't doubt your good intentions, but IMO, you're taking
41 Gentoo way _too_ seriously. Gentoo is fun and useful. Rules and politics
42 can only make it less so.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list