From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: qa last rites -- long list
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 15:16:47
1 On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 05:53:47AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > El mié, 07-01-2015 a las 19:19 -0500, Jonathan Callen escribió:
4 > > [...]
5 > >> The only reason there is a security issue with nethack (and other
6 > >> games like it) on Gentoo, and only on Gentoo, is that the games team
7 > >> policy requires that all games have permissions 0750, with group
8 > >> "games", and all users that should be allowed to run games be in the
9 > >> "games" group. Nethack expects that it have permissions 2755 (or
10 > >> 2711), with group "games" and that *no* users are members of that
11 > >> group, so it can securely save files that are accessible to all users
12 > >> during gameplay ("bones" files) and ensure that the user cannot
13 > >> access/change their current save file. These two expectations are
14 > >> incompatible with each other, and end up creating a security issue
15 > >> that upstream would never expect (as no users can be in the "games"
16 > >> group traditionally).
17 > >>
18 > >>
19 > >
20 > > If I don't misremember Council allowed finally people to not be mandated
21 > > by that "games team" policies and, then, I guess that could finally
22 > > allow to drop that security issue no? :/
25 > This is correct, if the maintainer wishes.
26
27 Rich is correct, maintainers are no longer bound by the games team
28 policy.
29
30 Since this is a popular game, I urge someone to take it over and fix the
31 issue. If I were taking it over, I would immediately look into rewriting
32 the ebuild to not use games.eclass.
33
34 William