From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: qa last rites -- long list
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 10:53:55
1 On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
2 > El mié, 07-01-2015 a las 19:19 -0500, Jonathan Callen escribió:
3 > [...]
4 >> The only reason there is a security issue with nethack (and other
5 >> games like it) on Gentoo, and only on Gentoo, is that the games team
6 >> policy requires that all games have permissions 0750, with group
7 >> "games", and all users that should be allowed to run games be in the
8 >> "games" group. Nethack expects that it have permissions 2755 (or
9 >> 2711), with group "games" and that *no* users are members of that
10 >> group, so it can securely save files that are accessible to all users
11 >> during gameplay ("bones" files) and ensure that the user cannot
12 >> access/change their current save file. These two expectations are
13 >> incompatible with each other, and end up creating a security issue
14 >> that upstream would never expect (as no users can be in the "games"
15 >> group traditionally).
19 > If I don't misremember Council allowed finally people to not be mandated
20 > by that "games team" policies and, then, I guess that could finally
21 > allow to drop that security issue no? :/
24 This is correct, if the maintainer wishes.
27 Rich