From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:01:04
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Guess I'll be the killjoy, and throw in the -1 on it.
4 >
5 > Reasons are pretty straightforward (at least to me):
6
7 I originally agreed with you, but after giving it some thought I think
8 it might help.
9
10 > 1) Creating such channels is just attempting to shift the problem out
11 > of sight.
12
13 This is true, if you consider the problem to be that
14 a) we are required to be subscribed to -dev
15 b) we don't want to spend our time sorting the signal from the noise
16 (where noise is defined as politics or non-technical debates or rhetoric)
17 c) such noise kills developer interest and motivation and generally
18 makes us frowny-faced.
19
20 Shifting it out of sight is kinda the point. We've already tried
21 (extensively) to make people get along together and it's obviously not
22 working. We need to acknowledge that and try another approach.
23
24 > 2) Shifting said problem into a concentrated arena means the incidence
25 > of idiot conflicts/trolling/needling/whatever is likely to increase
26
27 I don't think so. Every rule of conduct that currently applies to -dev
28 should also apply to -project. It's not OTW, just the non-technical
29 half (5/6ths? ;)) of -dev.
30
31 > 3) said increase means proctors/devrel have more work (meaning more
32 > random outbursts at the proctors/devrel when folks realize that they
33 > *are* going to enforce the behaviour rules, and that the outburstes
34 > can be punished too).
35
36 It should probably be made clear beforehand then that these rules are
37 still in effect.
38
39 > 4) look through -dev history; the issue isn't OT discussion, it's
40 > people needling/harassing/trolling/(chose your verb) kicking off yet
41 > another "mine is bigger" last word battle on the ml.
42
43 By making -dev 'technical discussions only', the vast majority of that
44 needling/harassing/trolling becomes OT. Now, of course, you can still
45 have a firefight in a technical debate, but history shows it to be far
46 less common than in a political discussion.
47
48 > Basically, what does this solve? If the intention is to create an OTW
49 > equivalent for the forums, sure, go nuts, but I strongly doubt it'll
50 > improve things on -dev.
51
52 This is nothing like OTW. Posts still need to be on-topic and we still
53 need to pretend we actually like each other. ;)
54
55 Of course, neither of us has a crystal ball (at least I know I don't),
56 so either one of us could be wrong.
57
58 PS. this thread is a good example of something that would belong on
59 gentoo-project. ;)
63 dirtyepic salesman said this vacuum's guaranteed
64 gentoo org it could suck an ancient virus from the sea
65 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list