From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:18:59
1 On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:31:02PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > Kumba wrote:
3 >
4 > > Anyways, thoughts?
5 >
6 > Yes please.
7
8 Guess I'll be the killjoy, and throw in the -1 on it.
9
10 Reasons are pretty straightforward (at least to me):
11
12 1) Creating such channels is just attempting to shift the problem out
13 of sight.
14 2) Shifting said problem into a concentrated arena means the incidence
15 of idiot conflicts/trolling/needling/whatever is likely to increase
16 3) said increase means proctors/devrel have more work (meaning more
17 random outbursts at the proctors/devrel when folks realize that they
18 *are* going to enforce the behaviour rules, and that the outburstes
19 can be punished too).
20 4) look through -dev history; the issue isn't OT discussion, it's
21 people needling/harassing/trolling/(chose your verb) kicking off yet
22 another "mine is bigger" last word battle on the ml.
23
24 Basically, what does this solve? If the intention is to create an OTW
25 equivalent for the forums, sure, go nuts, but I strongly doubt it'll
26 improve things on -dev.
27
28 So what is the explicit purpose of this? Honestly assumed it was just
29 a joke at debians expense initially, but folks seem to be serious
30 about it...
31
32 ~harring