From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:28:08
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 >
3 > Guess I'll be the killjoy, and throw in the -1 on it.
4 >
5 > Reasons are pretty straightforward (at least to me):
6 >
7 > 1) Creating such channels is just attempting to shift the problem out
8 > of sight.
9
10 Not out of sight, just to an arena where it is more suitable. When I joined
11 Gentoo long ago, I was told that there were two required mailing lists that we
12 had to be on: gentoo-core, for private, developer-only discussion whose contents
13 are (normally) kept from the prying eyes of our endearing public, and
14 gentoo-dev, a developer/user mailing list for development-related questions
15 regarding all things Gentoo.
16
17 When -dev evolved/de-evolved (your pick) into being technical && non-technical
18 in nature, I'm not sure. I was either asleep, or entertaining myself with other
19 things. If I had to haphazard a guess, I think it simply "Just Happened"
20 because all devs are automatically subscribed, therefore, when someone has
21 something to say, they stand a high probability of it getting heard by a lot of
22 people. No point in tootin' off your horn if no one's around to hear, ja ne?
25 > 2) Shifting said problem into a concentrated arena means the incidence
26 > of idiot conflicts/trolling/needling/whatever is likely to increase
27
28 This is possible, but I'll point out that one can also have non-technical talk
29 about all things Gentoo without everyone de-evolving into little charmanders
30 about it. Quipping an example from the debian-project ML, a discussion on the
31 validity of Condorcet voting would be a non-technical topic of discussion that
32 can be discussed (hopefully without igniting). And that is a topic I know we've
33 broached before.
34
35 If people just act like adults for once, we can actually keep the flames
36 controlled. Note that I'm not saying it'll stop the flames, only that they can
37 be controlled.
40 > 3) said increase means proctors/devrel have more work (meaning more
41 > random outbursts at the proctors/devrel when folks realize that they
42 > *are* going to enforce the behaviour rules, and that the outburstes
43 > can be punished too).
44
45 Not many people like authoritative figures, no matter the uniform or creed. I
46 guess it's just how we're wired. Free Will and all that jazz. Frankly, no
47 matter what an authority-empowered group does, whether it is for good intentions
48 or not, someone out there will cry foul about it, and raise a whole lot of
49 ruckus over it. devrel's not perfect, but they're not inherently evil or
50 anything either. They're given a task to do, and why people make such a fuss
51 over it baffles me. I guess that's why I tend to not pay attention to those cases.
54 > 4) look through -dev history; the issue isn't OT discussion, it's
55 > people needling/harassing/trolling/(chose your verb) kicking off yet
56 > another "mine is bigger" last word battle on the ml.
57
58 It's competition, at the core. No one likes draws, ties, or even photo
59 finishes, let alone losing. They like to win, and win by a large margin. If
60 someone tries to slip the last word in to get them over that virtual finish
61 line, rest assured someone else is gonna fire off an even more last word just to
62 one up them, and when we're talking mere microts from the finish line, sometimes
63 the gloves come off.
64
65 Besides, it's not like a +2 Great Darkwood Crossbow of Acid is all _that_
66 expensive. Probably a pain in the neck to load (and the kickback has to hurt),
67 but well it just means you need to level up some more :)
70 > Basically, what does this solve? If the intention is to create an OTW
71 > equivalent for the forums, sure, go nuts, but I strongly doubt it'll
72 > improve things on -dev.
73 >
74 > So what is the explicit purpose of this? Honestly assumed it was just
75 > a joke at debians expense initially, but folks seem to be serious
76 > about it...
77
78 I didn't intend it as a joke. Yes, I interspersed some sarcasm in my original
79 response (As I often do in many of my responses), but that doesn't detract from
80 the seriousness of it. Put honestly, I don't really read -dev any more. I
81 barely even glance at -core. I've missed stuff like new USE flags, interesting
82 GLEPs, new devs coming in, old devs going out, etc. Why?, because the signal to
83 noise ratio was worse than my cable connection on a bad day, and at some point,
84 I just got turned off by it all. Probably much in the same way why I don't pay
85 much attention to the wars going on the world. Right now, I find news reports
86 on changes in traffic patterns to be more exciting.
87
88 And I looked to debian for inspiration on this because they've had problems like
89 this before. A few of their developers sit in the linux-mips channel, and while
90 I don't know what lists they're all on, one of their devs told me debian-project
91 is one he stays away from. I guess I'm a bit like them; I like the technical
92 discussions more than the expertly-crafted responses tossed back and forth in
93 the many flame wars that pop up on here. And so, I decided to do something
94 about it for once.
97 --Kumba
100 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
101
102 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
103 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
104 --
105 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list