From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] initrd
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:25:20
1 On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 19:12, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:55:36AM -0500, Chris PeBenito wrote:
3 > > For the new SELinux API in 2.6, it is required that the SELinux policy
4 > > is loaded by initrd. We don't have a mkinitrd in portage. I could add
5 > > a Gentoo-fixed RedHat mkinitrd, but I'd prefer not to, since all I have
6 > > to do in the initrd is 3 commands (and I don't want to maintain a
7 > > mkinitrd ebuild either). However, there is a static shell in the RedHat
8 > > mkinitrd package (nash) that is compiled with dietlibc which I do want,
9 > > because its tiny, and made to run in a initrd.
10 > >
11 > > Would it be acceptable to create something like a "mkpolicyinitrd"
12 > > package that pulls in the RH src rpm, and compiles nash out of it, and
13 > > adds in my own mkinitrd script? I could also put the mkinitrd in our
14 > > selinux-base-policy ebuild, and just create a nash ebuild.
15 > >
16 > > I would rather have a ebuild just for nash. Is there any preference, or
17 > > other suggestions?
18 > I started on some of this before, when I almost needed an initrd for
19 > some boxes (due to crappy hardware, i ended up buying some 3ware raid
20 > controllers instead).
21 >
22 > Based on how redhat packages it, I'd suggest a mkinitrd package that
23 > pulls in their srpm (from their RawHide sources as the latest contains a
24 > number of fixed wrt lvm and other things), and builds /sbin/mkinitrd,
25 > /sbin/nash, /sbin/grubby.
26 >
27 > As you note that you are not willing to maintain the mkinitrd ebuild, if
28 > you do put it in, I'm willing to maintain it.
29
30 Is it not possible to use sash rather than nash ?
35 Martin Schlemmer
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
37 Cape Town, South Africa