From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] initrd
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:12:17
1 On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:55:36AM -0500, Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 > For the new SELinux API in 2.6, it is required that the SELinux policy
3 > is loaded by initrd. We don't have a mkinitrd in portage. I could add
4 > a Gentoo-fixed RedHat mkinitrd, but I'd prefer not to, since all I have
5 > to do in the initrd is 3 commands (and I don't want to maintain a
6 > mkinitrd ebuild either). However, there is a static shell in the RedHat
7 > mkinitrd package (nash) that is compiled with dietlibc which I do want,
8 > because its tiny, and made to run in a initrd.
9 >
10 > Would it be acceptable to create something like a "mkpolicyinitrd"
11 > package that pulls in the RH src rpm, and compiles nash out of it, and
12 > adds in my own mkinitrd script? I could also put the mkinitrd in our
13 > selinux-base-policy ebuild, and just create a nash ebuild.
14 >
15 > I would rather have a ebuild just for nash. Is there any preference, or
16 > other suggestions?
17 I started on some of this before, when I almost needed an initrd for
18 some boxes (due to crappy hardware, i ended up buying some 3ware raid
19 controllers instead).
20
21 Based on how redhat packages it, I'd suggest a mkinitrd package that
22 pulls in their srpm (from their RawHide sources as the latest contains a
23 number of fixed wrt lvm and other things), and builds /sbin/mkinitrd,
24 /sbin/nash, /sbin/grubby.
25
26 As you note that you are not willing to maintain the mkinitrd ebuild, if
27 you do put it in, I'm willing to maintain it.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
32 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
33 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85