From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are "Copyright 1999-20xx Gentoo Foundation" headers bogus?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 01:59:02
1 On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:25:52 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > And I guess that even most ebuilds for new
5 > packages aren't written from scratch, but will be based on an existing
6 > ebuild or on some template like skel.ebuild.
7
8 You could probably argue that subsequently, every ebuild is essentially
9 a derived work of the first ebuild, and thus, a derived work of
10 Gentoo's copyright.
11
12 The format is so regularised 2 people could independently create the
13 same ebuild.
14
15 Not because there's any real rules to how we order things, but because
16 people take their advice at how to write ebuilds by copying other
17 existing ones.